UPDATE: You can now find even more healthified recipes & tips at www.healthynbalanced.com.
I am a BIG fan of tex-mex and mexican food. I recently “healthified” my favorite recipe for creamy chicken enchiladas. This recipe is super easy to throw together and is great for a freezer meal as well.
What I did I do to healthify it this time?
I used Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream. You could not tell the difference at all! This cuts back on the sodium in the recipe, as well as calories (for those of you counting calories).
I bought full-fat block cheese and shredded my own cheese instead of buying (pre) shredded cheese in the bag. (Pre) shredded cheese contains anti-caking chemicals. It may seem more convenient, but shredding block cheese yourself only takes about 2 additional minutes and you are saving you and your family from ingesting the chemicals found in (pre) shredded cheese.
On a side note, I do not buy low-fat/no-fat cheese or dairy products. These products are processed and stripped of lots of good vitamins and nutrients that God put in dairy.🙂
What I am going to do next time to healthify it even more?
Make my own whole wheat tortillas. (Can’t wait to try these out!)
Use homemade Cream of Chicken Soup (I am trying to cut back on my usage of canned products due to the BPA levels in canned goods and the cost. It is much cheaper to make your own than to buy it-even with coupons.)
Use brown rice on the side, instead of white rice. This has been a hard transition for us, but step by step we are getting there.🙂
14-16 ounces Plain Greek Yogurt
1 can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Organic) or 1 1/3 c. of homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
2 tsp. chili powder (if you want a little spice, use 1 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp cayenne pepper)
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar/mozzarella cheese mix (Remember to shred your own!:))
2 cups shredded chicken
8-10 flour tortillas
1/2 cup shredded cheddar/mozzarella cheese mix
Coconut oil (to coat pan)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. Mix yogurt, soup, chili powder, and salsa in a bowl.
3. In a seperate bowl combine chicken, cheese, and 2 cups of yogurt mixture. (Reserve the rest of the mixture to top enchiladas.)
4. Coat glass Pyrex (8×13) with coconut oil. Spoon out approx. 1/3-1/2 cup of chicken/cheese/yogurt mixture into each tortilla and roll up burrito style. Place enchiladas snugly into Pyrex. There is no need for there to be space between each enchilada. ( Depending on how many enchiladas you make, you may need to use more than one Pyrex.)
5. Top enchiladas with remaining yogurt/soup mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
6. Bake on 350 for 35 minutes.
7. Remove aluminum foil and top enchiladas with additional 1/2 c. shredded cheese. Cook uncovered for 10 more minutes.