Reading the Bible daily has never really been a problem for me but I have always struggled with having consistent daily prayer times. Although I have been a Christian since I was 7 years old and have been heavily involved in ministry since I was a teenager, my prayer life has been some what like a rollercoaster ride. Recently I started reading the book “The Power of Praying Together” by Stormie Omartian and Jack Hayford. It has drastically changed my prayer life. I have not only been consistent with daily prayer but my prayers have become more purposeful. Not to mention my prayers have been much more than the standard “Lord bless this day. Bless my family. Give my guidance.” I actually feel passionate about the words that I am saying to Him.
In the book, Stormie writes “I have found that it is much harder to stay focused in prayer when you have only a vague idea of what you are doing. If you have a plan of some sort when you pray, it helps you to get down to prayer more quickly and experience a more fruitful prayer time.”
She then lays out some steps that help you to get started and stay focused as you pray. Some days you may only pray for a couple of these things and other days you may be able to pray all of these things. Here are the steps in prayer that I have been following and that have led to a deeper, more purposeful prayer life.
1. Acknowledge God as your heavenly Father.
2. Praise God for who He is and for what He has done.
3. Choose one of God’s names, attributes, or characteristics and thank Him for being that to you.
4. Present your day to the Lord. (Be specific about how you want Him to guide you as you go throughout your day.
5. Present your body to the Lord. (Romans 12:1)
6. Confess your sins to God and ask Him to help you to live His way.
7. Ask God to help you speak only words that bring life. (Psalm 19:14)
8. Ask God for what you need.
9. Pray for God’s will in your life.
10. Pray for others
I want to encourage you to try this out for a week. I also want to encourage you to buy the book. I think it is out of print but it is still available on quite a few web-sites.
There is nothing like having an intimate relationship with God and in order to have that relationship, you have to spend time with Him.🙂
Note: This is an unsolicited review. I do not receive any sort of compensation for sharing this with you.
Nota: “El Poder de Orar Juntos” está disponible en español aquí.